Water quality purification using CarbonFiber is economical and effective method. And it is low environmental impact. Active biofilm are formed by high bioaffinity of CarbonFiber, and its microorganisms decompose contaminants. On the other hand, biosonic radiates from CarbonFiber activate microorganisms and gather fishes.CarbonFiber exercises seaweed bed function.
What is CarbonFiber ?
- CarbonFiber is a “fibrous carbon substance having a fine graphite crystal structure” which is manufactured by carbonizing acryl fibers by a special heat treatment process.
(Polyacrylonitrile (PAN) type)
- CarbonFiber is generally said to be a “light, strong, corrosion-resistant” advanced functional material.
It is widely used in diverse applications, taking advantage of its combination of properties as a lightweight materials with excellent mechanical properties, and its excellent properties as a carbon material.
○ Specific strength (tensile strength/specific weight): 10x that of steel.
○ Specific modulus (tensile modulus of elasticity/specific weight):7x that of steel.
○ Applications: Aircraft, automobiles, reinforcing material
for concrete structures, fishing rods, golf clubs, etc.
- > CarbonFibers for use as a water purification materials are given a special surface treatment to cause the fibers to expand in water.
- CarbonFibers for water purification consist of clusters (bundles) of 12,000 ultra-fine, 7μm filaments.
Functions of CarbonFiber
| ■ Function of Water Purification
- Pollutants in water are adsorbed on the large surface area of the CarbonFibers.
- At the same time, microorganisms in the water are attracted and fixed.
- Due to their high biocompatibility, the CarbonFibers form an active microorganism film and become a habitat for the microorganisms.
- The microbial film sways in the water, capturing and decomposing pollutants.
→ Water purification.
- The microorganisms are activated, attracting fish and creating a habitat for egg-laying and the growth of young fish. → Formation of seaweed bed.
- Effects include water purification, preservation of the ecosystem, and securing biodiversity.
|When immersed in water, a water-soluble sizing agent dissolves, and the filaments unravel and spread.
|Pollutants are adsorbed and microorganisms are fixed on the large surface area of the CarbonFiber.
( radical sludge)
| ■ Mechanism of Water Purification
|Swaying of the CarbonFibers causes movement
of the water and decomposition of pollutants.
|Main nutrients and metabolism products
of microorganisms in microbial film.
Water Purification Effects
Water quality purification using CarbonFiber is effective in improvement of transparency in a short time, decrease COD and BOD, and purification of TN and TP.
Removal rate of water quality purification using CarbonFiber items（％）
| biological oxygen demand (BOD)
| suspended solid (SS)
| total nitrogen (TN)
| total phosphorus (TP)
| ■ Possible Fields of Application of CarbonFiber
- Environmental water (rivers, lakes and marshes, ponds, sea water)
- City sewage (human excreta purification tanks, advanced wastewater treatment tanks)
- Factory organic wastewater (food, brewing, chemical industries)
- Livestock organic wastewater (excreta, milking)
- Residential wastewater, kitchen wastewater
● Advantages of Water Purification by CarbonFiber
| ■ Features of Water Purification by CarbonFiber
・Fast organic matter decomposition treatment rate by activation of microorganisms.
・Minimal generation of excess sludge, and minimal peeling off of attached matter.
・Large denitrification and dephosphorization effects.
・High suspended particle capture effect.
・Low installation cost, easy maintenance control, and no running costs.
● Points Requiring Consideration in Water Purification by CarbonFiber
・Difficult to produce effects in environments with few microorganisms, and time is required.
→ Countermeasure： Seed microorganisms
・Effect is reduced by deposits of excess sludge, e.g., skeletons of microorganisms, etc.
→ Countermeasure： Maintenance control
・Aerobic bacteria are not activated in oxygen-poor environments.
→ Countermeasure： Aeration equipment
・When no water flow exists, purification is not possible because pollutants do not come into contact
→ Countermeasure： Circulating water flow
・When a large amount of pollutants is adsorbed, time is required for decomposition.
→ Countermeasure： Maintenance control
”Large effects are achieved by activation of microorganisms
with appropriate oxygen and water flow.”
| ■ Features of Microorganism Groups Fixed on CarbonFiber
- Microorganism fixing rate is fast, and the amount fixed is large.
- Deposited microorganisms resist peeling off, and at the same time,their activity is high.
- Within the groups of microorganisms deposited on the fibers, the aerobic microorganism phase and anaerobic microorganism phase exist in a well-dispersed state.
- Microorganisms with high bulk are deposited on the CarbonFiber bundles.A type of pump motion in the moving water and swaying of the CarbonFiber bundles causes mass transfer and accelerates the decomposition of pollutants.
- The range of effect is expanded by the coexistence of a microorganism multiplication action, which is due to sound waves emitted by carbon in an early stage in the initial phase of deposition of aerobic bacteria, with groups of microorganisms.
| ■ Amount of CarbonFiber Installed
The amount installed is calculated based on various conditions, including
the shape of the water area, water depth, water quality, flow velocity,
residence time, etc.
|Location of installation
||Amount of CarbonFiber g/m³
|Pond, lake/marsh, sea
|Pond, lake/marsh, sea
||Seaweed bed formation
|Water purification and the formation seaweed bed using CarbonFiber are patent technology.
Please consult with us about using CarbonFiber for a business purpose.
|【３３３１３７２】 Carbon fiber-based artificial seaweed bed and carbon fiber-based artificial
seaweed bed system made by combining plural kinds of carbon fiber-based
【３３２８７００】 Waste water cleaning method
【３０８０５６７】 Artificial seaweed bed formation
【２９５４５０９】 Contact filter media in water treatment system of contact oxidation method
Carbon Fiber Make Water Method Association certifies for CarbonFiber water purification
material and method and seaweed bed formation method.
More information: CFMA certification system
CFMA members who request buying MiraCarbon (CarbonFiber water purification material) are
required to fill out a form and send it by Fax.
This is only for members who will use it at home. Counter agent is Japan Water Guard (NPO).
Nonmembers and those who will buy it for business or construction, Please contact here
Download for order form: 【Order form for only members】
Copy right(C)CFMA All rights reserved.